The term BBM is an acronym for Blackberry Messenger. It is one of the phone’s major features. Blackberry phone is a product of Research In Motion Limited (RIM), a Canadian telecommunication company which has its headquarters at a region in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
It was founded by Mike Lazaridis, who served as its co-CEO along with Jim Balsillie until January 22, 2012. In November 2013, John S. Chen took over as CEO.
The primary competitors of BlackBerry are smartphones running Android and Apple iPhone, with Microsoft's Windows Phone platform emerging as a more recent competitor. For a number of years, the BlackBerry was the leading smartphone in many markets, particularly the United States and Nigeria.
Among the 125m active mobile subscribers in Nigeria, only 4 million smartphones are in use. That is less than 3.2% of the country’s mobile subscribers.
According to BusinessDay statistics as at 2012, there are 2.4 million BB users in Nigeria. Of course, one expects the statistics to have tripled by now despite the influx of android in the Nigerian market.
Until now, the popular notion was that Blackbery (BB) & Android are luxury phones meant for only the affluent and elites in the society. Today, the average Nigerian (including students) can now boast of one or the two in most cases. It doesn't matter whether it is TOKUNBO OR tear-rubber, blackberry is blackberry.
Same goes for android. Prior to the advent of TECNO, the high cost of procuring a Samsung or Apple was way beyond the average income of the masses. But with the bullish manner Tecno invaded the market, it was only a matter of time before the smartphone warmed its way into the hearts of Nigerians.
To be successful in any form of business whether online or offline, it is always advisable for every serious businessman to endeavour to raise as many contacts as possible. This principle also applies to our course of study - Generating Contacts For BBM & Whatsapp. Presently, I have about 1,926 followers or contacts on my BBM. Yet there are some people with 2000, 3000, and even 5000 contacts who are at a loss as to how they can leverage on this. Some people might claim they cherish their privacy by having just a handful of BBM contacts. That is understandable! However if you really hope to make real money from BB, Android and Whatsapp, you need a large followership.
1. Twitter Handle: My initial twitter handle read “@CityPulse_28B732O8’’ It wasn’t carved out by mistake. It was a deliberate attempt to get the attention of prospective contacts. At least 15 percent of my contacts came from there before I switched pins to my current one.
2. BB Pin-Train: This is one of the interesting broadcasts you will get from time-to-time. All it requires is for you to add your BB Pin and what you do and rebroadcast. When you have a generous number of contacts, you can equally kick-start similar PIN TRAIN.
3. Solidarity Broadcast Of Pins By Friends: It is not unusual to see things like ‘’Add Johnson Silly. He just lost all his contacts.” Some of these BB Pin broadcast referral are genuine while others are just floated to get more contacts for the owners.
4. Footnote / Attachment To posts: It is not uncommon to see people attach blackberry pin on every post sent from their blogs, facebook or twitter account. This is a very good means to generate contacts who could turn out to be prospective buyers of whatever you are offering, whether goods or services.
5. Comments On Diverse Fora: Being interactive on social media and fora like Citypulse, Nairaland, lindaikeji, 9jaChurch etc is always a plus any day. Times without number, I have been privileged to bump into some articles, comments and opinions I left behind on some notable fora and websites in the last 14 years. Therefore it is advisable to endeavour to leave your signature (name & BB Pin) after spending quality time reading and commenting on any blog or site. It is a good way to generate blackberry contacts if you are genuinely interested in content or info marketing, BB marketing broadcast or any online business.
6. Create A Customised DP: It is no longer news that most people idly copy (or steal in the right sense of the word) their contacts display pictures (DP) from time-to-time. Unknown to them, some other people too would steal from them & either used on their profile or post them on Twitter, Facebook or Blog. This is the reason some shrewd business-minded fellows tend to imprint their BB Pin either at the bottom or at the tip of each picture. With that done, when the picture goes viral, they are bound to start receiving prospective BB requests.
SIMILARITY TO WHATSAPP MESSENGER
Getting Whatsapp friends is a more direct approach. It is a cumulative of all the people on your phone comprising friends, relatives, colleagues, clients, father, mother, uncles, aunts, in-laws (both people you term serious & unserious alike).
What is Whatsapp Messenger?
WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform instant messaging subscription service for smartphones and selected feature phones that uses the internet for communication. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, videos and audio media messages as well as their location using integrated mapping features.
WhatsApp was founded in 2009 by US citizens Brian Acton and Jan Koum (also the CEO), both former employees of Yahoo!, and is based in Mountain View, California. On February 19, 2014, Facebook officially announced its acquisition of WhatsApp for a whooping US$19 billion (can you beat that?).
As of 22 April 2014, WhatsApp had over 500 million monthly active users in the world and 14.7 million fans in Nigeria, according to Whatsapp Facebook Page Statistics.
Ways to generate contacts for Whatsapp
Just as analysed in the case of blackberry messenger above, the same principle applies when it comes to generating contacts except one – All the contacts of people you call or have on your phone automatically becomes your whatsapp contacts.
Article written by
Adebayo Folorunsho-Francis (Facebook.com/Francis Citypulse)
Business Coach, Author, Blogger, Journalist